My first visit to Tokyo and Hakone

I had never been to Japan in my life, until October 2009.


Several of my friends at work planned a trip to Japan. Since I had never been there, and that traveling to Japan from Taipei was easier and cheaper than traveling from Singapore, I decided to tag along. My Taiwanese friends had been to Japan many times before. It seems to me that Taiwanese enjoy visiting Japan very much. It was his third vacation in Japan in this year alone for one of this group of friends.

Japanese have a unique culture. Something like an extremely disciplined craftsmen culture to me. They have certain 規矩 or rules, like taking off one's shoes in fitting rooms and the shoes must point outwards. They respect self-discipline, and they trained hard to achieve excellence in whatever they do, be it car making or sushi making. Paying attention to detail is also one of the many other things that we can learn from this culture.

It was my first trip to Japan. My observation may be flawed or incomplete. It should be. But I was very impressed nevertheless. And I was inspired.

It was a great trip.

IMG_1359

Comments

Popular Posts