What motivates you? - Some random thoughts at midnight

Several years ago, I was sitting in a lecture on finite element analysis when the lecturer projected a complicated mathematical equation on the screen. The equation was full of mathematical symbols that I can't even remember how to pronounce. At that moment in time, an image of Maslow's hierarchy of needs that I saw in my Marketing 101 class flashed across my mind.

Why the hell am I sitting in such a class staring at equations that look like abstract art to me? I can easily understand and publish a dozen of theories like Maslow's. - I seldom heard my thoughts and remembered them so crystal clearly; this was an exception.

Maslow

A couple of years later, I did not become a world respected engineer. Neither did I become a world respected psychologist. (Not Yet) All of my mechanical engineering textbooks and most of my human factors engineering textbooks are on my bookshelves, buried in a carpet of dust.

--

I learned several things in recent months:

1. It is important to understand the whys.
When your boss demand a mission impossible project dateline, asks why.
When your girlfriend is pissed, find out why.
When you ask a team member to make changes to his project plan, tell him why.

2. Self-confidence and motivation are two of the most important aspects at work.
When you lack one of them, work becomes depressing sooner or later. Litmus test: Do you usually feel headache on Sunday evenings and find it extremely difficult to get out of bed on Monday mornings?
When you lack both of them, something is very wrong with your life and you better do something about it fast.

--

So, coming back to Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Needs and motivations are strongly related. I see motivations as the relationships or links between our needs and what we perceive as the satisfiers of our needs.

--

My question to you:

1. What motivates you?
What motivates you to build a career?
What motivates you to go to work tomorrow?
What motivates you to build a family?

2. Do you ever ask why?
If life is short and finite, why do you bother? Does it still matter?

Comments

Popular Posts