The zen of office relocation

Yesterday was the last time I went to work at Roosevelt Road Section 2 NO. 100 at Taipei. Nope, I did not quit my job. At least not yet. The company I work for has relocated to another building in another part of the city. I will be going there to work on Monday.

The office at Roosevelt Road is very conveniently located. It is right in front of a subway station exit. It is walking distance from National Taiwan Normal University and just two subway stations away from National Taiwan University. The neighborhood of these universities are filled with shops, eating places, and, of course, young people - who can resist such a busy, youthful, and friendly environment?

Most of my awaked hours, for the past five years, were spent at this office. This was the place where I worked, learned, met and interacted with people. I ate and experienced the other end of the digestive cycle there too. It was a place rich in happiness, frustration, and memories to me.

The office at Roosevelt Road, or Guting as we usually call it, is also the one and only place in Taiwan that I am extremely familiar with. The neighborhood is familiar with me too. I know the staff at the convenient store, where I bought breakfast and coffee almost everyday. The owners at some of the eating places recognize me and can anticipate my orders. Even the old lady at the home electronics shop across the road, whom I bought my heater from, knows that I am a foreigner and chats with me about her daughter. I feel at ease and resourceful there. I know exactly where to get juices and where to get beers. The office has been, indeed, my second home in Taiwan.

Our minds suddenly see things that we are familiar with, things that we spend a lot of time with, once we realize we won't be seeing them so much in the near future. I knew breaking up in a romantic relationship is painful. But I didn't know an office relocation could bring up feelings of sadness too. At times like this, life reminds us to stop for a second and cherish the things, people, and environments that we so often take for granted.

Goodbye, Guting

Comments

Popular Posts