Bus routes and life.

Bus routes. They are almost always identified using a numerical number, and they seldom change. The route itself may modify a little now and then, but they seem to be there forever. At least those that I am familiar with. There are a few routes that have been a good part of my life. I remember SBS 157 and SBS 336 in Singapore very well. 157 took me to my primary school in Upper Bukit Timah. 336 took me home from Jurong East Interchange. They are nostalgic to me because they formed a connection between two personal destinations during certain years of my life. I got to know them because of certain life situations or decisions that I might or might not had control over. Fate.

These bus routes are interesting because after a while, they become interwined with our lives. I've waited for 157 for hundreds, if not thousands, of times. I stood there waiting and looking up multiple times a minute, hoping to see her from not too far away and coming towards me - so many times that she was almost like a childhood girlfriend to me. The more I rode with her, the more familiar I became with the route, the scenary outside the window, and sometimes even the smile of a particular driver or a specific vandalism behind a specific seat. There were times when she kept me waiting, and there were times when I was disappointed to see her because she was full. I took her on my nervous rides to school exams, and I took her home feeling spiritually empty after the exams. For most of the rides, I felt asleep and kept knocking my head against her windows. Deep down in our hearts, mine at least, the feeling towards a familiar route number and an unfamiliar one, is very different.

Here in Taiwan, I am familiar with 251. I used to ride with her from my aunt's place to my office. Going home with her was particularly intimate after a long day at work and it was very late in the night. There is something romantic about taking a bus ride at night, especially when it is a quiet night and a quiet bus. The bouncy seat, the deep engine roar, the strangers getting on and off occasionally, and the fast moving scenery and lights outside the window. They give me an adventurous yet lonely feeling, not so different from the feeling of life itself.

Recently, because of changes in my life, I am becoming familiar with 278 and 74. I kind of like them so far. Clean and on time, easy going, and not too expensive to go out with. I hope we will become good friends and have many good memories together.

Cheers to all the bus routes that had took me home. Thank you.


Comments

Popular Posts